Cupcakes are a perfect portable dessert for a gathering of friends. They're pretty, too! We used candy melts to make these simple red chocolate hats in our hat chocolate mold that makes these red and purple cupcakes even more festive! Try this easy craft for yourself!
Hat-Shaped ChocolatesWe made these cupcakes with store-bought red velvet cake mix and store-bought purple frosting, but feel free to make homemade red velvet cake and add purple food coloring to your favorite buttercream frosting recipe. You can find candy melts and decorating bags at your local craft store.
- Hat chocolate mold
- 1 bag of red candy melts (we used Wilton brand)
- 1 plastic easy-zip baggie or 1-12 inch disposable decorating bags (we used Wilton brand)
- In a plastic baggie or disposable decorating bag, add a quarter of the bag of red candy melts (about 3 ounces) to one corner of the easy-zip baggie or the disposable decorating bag and place the corner of the bag that contains the melts into a microwavable coffee mug.
- Set the microwave to the defrost setting and microwave the melts in the mug for 2 minutes. Carefully remove mug and knead with your hands to get things melting. Repeat the process, continuing to microwave in 2-minute increments until all of the melts are soft.
- Snip the edge of the plastic baggie or decorating bag, but do not oversnip or too much will come out! Start small, you can always snip more if not enough comes out.
- Squeeze the melted chocolate into each mold, but do not overfill. Once the mold is full, gently tap the mold onto a solid, steady surface to remove any air bubbles and allow the chocolate to settle into the mold. Let cool 3 hours or overnight. Flex the plastic mold to pop the chocolates out of the mold. Add to decorated cupcakes!
If you'd like to use what we used, find these item at The Red Hat Society Store (click on the links below)Hat Chocolate Mold
High Heel Chocolate Mold
Butterfly Chocolate Mold