This Do-It-Yourself art project will really add some Red Hat Society pizazz to your home! It makes a lovely gift or a fun group activity. Either have everyone bring their own supplies or the coordinator can buy supplies and everyone can chip in. Feel free to mix up the colors and be creative with the pattern.
Red Hat Society Flower Art
Use whatever color acrylic paint and scrapbook paper designs you like. Be creative and have fun with you design!
- art canvas (we used 24" x 48")
- Mod Podge
- 2 fluid ounce container of acrylic craft paint (we used lilac)
- 2-3 sheets of contrasting scrapbook paper
- craft paint brush
- flower center (we used RHS Logo Sticker)
- Paint the whole canvas with acrylic craft paint. Apply a second coat if needed. Let dry completely.
- To create the leaf pattern, cut a 3 inch leaf design out of cardboard to make a template. Use template to trace and cut out 80 leaves from the contrasting scrapbook paper.
- Lay the leaves on the dry canvas to see how you'd like the design to look. Put a sticker down for the center of the flower or use the Mod Podge to "glue" down a circle for the center of your flower design.
- Use the Mod Podge like glue and paint it on the back of each leaf around the flower center. Continue adding leaves until you are satisfied with your design.
- Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge all over the top of the petals and canvas to give it the look of an oil painting!